Submitting a Course for Core Consideration
The University’s new Core Curriculum is being phased into the undergraduate curriculum for incoming First Year students in the 2018-2019 academic year. Details about the new requirements can be found here: https://corecurriculum.nd.edu/.
The deadline for Core review consideration of Fall 2019 courses is Tuesday, February 19. All courses should be submitted for Core review via the new ACM Tool available either in insideND or by using the link pasted at the bottom of these instructions.
Each submission requires at least two – and may require up to three – supporting documents:
- a course syllabus that includes a statement explaining concisely to the students how this course will meet the learning goals for the Core Curriculum Ways of Knowing and what skills or attributes the students will gain (required).
more detailed statement directed at the Core Curriculum Subcommittee of how the course meets the course criteria and learning goals of the selected Way of Knowing (required)
- supplementary materials (as required; see below)
Guidelines and examples of syllabi and the Core Curriculum Subcommittee statements can be found on the Core Curriculum web site at: https://corecurriculum.nd.edu/starting-fall-2018/resources-for-faculty/
The following Ways of Knowing require a third supplemental document:
- Quantitative Reasoning - Please include a third document with sample assignments, or a sample final exam.
- Science and Technology - Please include a third document with sample assignments, or a sample exam.
If a submitter wishes to upload optional supporting material, there is the possibility to do so within the Academic Course Management Tool.
To create a New University Requirement Form for Core review, access Academic Course Management (ACM) here:
Submit a course to the Core Curriculum subcommittees for review
Please note that a separate New University Requirement Form must be submitted for each Way of Knowing requirement and can only be submitted for a course that already exists in the University’s Course Catalog.
Here are the University Core Requirement review process steps:
Step 1. New University Requirement Form submitted – After a faculty instructor or department representative submits a New University Requirement form, the subcommittee chairperson will get an email notification to visit the Academic Course Management (ACM) Dashboard.
Step 2. New University Requirement Form reviewed – Each University Core Requirement subcommittee can review the course submission in the ACM Dashboard’s "Open" tab and choose to . . .
Step 3. New University Requirement Form decision forwarded
- (a) post comment(s) which will trigger an email to the original submitter. (The subcommittees are asked to be as detailed as possible in their comments – especially if a submitter's response is needed.)
- (b) leave the form in the "Open" tab if the subcommittee is waiting for additional materials or revisions
- (c) click on Approve or Decline as appropriate.
– After the subcommittee clicks on Approve or Decline, the chairman of the Core Curriculum Committee will see the decision, has an opportunity to post additional comments, and clicks on Approve or Decline. This triggers another notification email to the original submitter. At this point, the approved or declined University Requirements Form gets listed under the "Pending Processing" tab of the ACM Dashboard.
Step 4. New University Requirement Form processed - The Registrar's Office implements the approval/decline decision in the University’s records and automatically codes cross-lists as approved as well. This triggers a final notification email to the original submitter.