Name Change Procedure

To officially request a name change, the Office of the Registrar requests your Notre Dame Student ID card (current students), along with one or more of the following to be brought into our office:

Our office will make a copy of the legal document, and return the original to you while you wait.

International Students (F-1 or J-1 status) must provide a copy of the document on which your name change request is based to International Student Services and Activities in order to ensure that your name will continue to appear correctly on any U.S. immigration documents.

To add a Social Security number, please contact the Office of the Registrar for instruction and proper documentation requirements.

If you have questions regarding the name change or Social Security number process, please contact the Office of the Registrar or 574-631-7043.