Student FAQ

FAQ Navigation


There are deadlines for adding classes each semester. Please refer to the University of Notre Dame Academic Calendar for those deadlines.

How do I add a class to my schedule?

  1. Log into insideND
  2. Select the NOVO "Registration NOVO - Add/Drop" icon
  3. Select “Add/Drop Classes” from the “Registration” page
  4. Select appropriate term from the “Select a Term” field
  5. If prompted, enter your Registration PIN (obtained from the department of your first major)
  6. Go to the “Enter CRNs” tab on the page and click into the first field
  7. Type the Course Reference Number (CRN) of the class for which you wish to register
  8. Tab to the next field and enter more CRNs (you may enter up to 10)
  9. Click “Add to Summary”
  10. The classes will populate into the "Class Schedule for..." and the "Summary" panels
  11. Click "Submit" to attempt to register for all the CRNs entered

Helpful Hint: While in the “Register for Classes” section, you may use the “Find Classes” tab to search and register for classes.

Helpful Hint: Classes for which you do not qualify (wrong major, class closed, department approval required, etc.) will display as errors in a message box at the top right of the screen.

Helpful Hint: Classes with co-requisites must have the main class and all the co-requisite classes entered before you click “Submit”. Otherwise the co-requisite classes will not register.


Students must have academic advising to plan their course selection. The advising process varies among the colleges/schools and departments. Students should contact the department of their first major for guidelines.


How do I audit a class?

Only graduate students may audit a class. All “Audits” must be declared by the sixth class day of the Fall and Spring semester, and the fifth class day for Summer Session. For additional information please go to the audit page.


What is my “Classification?”

Classification indicates whether a student is an undergraduate Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, First Year Law Student, 2nd Year Graduate Business student, etc.

Some classes are restricted and/or seats in classes may be allocated by classification.  Additionally, Registration times are scheduled by a student’s classification.

Students having questions about their classification should contact the associate or assistant dean in their college.

Helpful Hint: To check your classification, go to insideND and select "Registration Status and Holds" from the "Registration" menu. Then scroll down to look under "Curriculum Information".


I'm getting a "Corequisite (the course dept, number and CRN) required" error message when I try to register for a particular course. What is the problem?

Classes which required a co-requisite must be submitted at the same time. The CRNs for each co-requisite course must be present on the “Enter CRNs” page before clicking the "Submit" button.

For example: if a course has a lab, which is a co-requisite to the class, both the CRN of the main course and the lab must be on the “Enter CRNs” page prior to clicking the "Submit" button.


Why are the course numbers five digits?

Beginning in Summer Session 2005, all the courses offered at Notre Dame became five numeric digits long.

How do I interpret the course numbering scheme?

The numbering scheme includes some built-in standards. The first digit of the course number indicates the Level of the course. 1 through 5 are undergraduate courses, 6 through 9 are graduate level courses. The second digit indicates what type of course it is, be it a lab, a tutorial, a seminar, or study abroad. Zero will be the most frequently used second digit, as it indicates the course is a “regular” classroom course.

How do I tell if a course is a lab? Or a seminar?

The second digit of the 5-digit course number is the key to determining what type of course it is. The most common second digits will be "0" to indicate the course is a "regular classroom" course, "1" to indicate the course is a lab, "2" to indicate a discussion group or tutorial, and "3" to indicate a seminar. The complete listing of second digit meanings is included below.

What does the second digit in the course number stand for?

X 0 - XXX = Regular classroom course
X 1 - XXX = Lab / Drill / Studio
X 2 - XXX = Tutorial / Discussion Group
X 3 - XXX = Seminar
X 4 - XXX = Off Campus / Study Abroad
X 5 - XXX = Internship / Field Work
X 6 - XXX = Directed Readings
X 7 - XXX = Special Studies
X 8 - XXX = Thesis / Research / Dissertation
X 9 - XXX = Reserved for Future Use

How should we refer to the course numbers? Five digits is a lot to say…

The first two numbers should be taken as one entity, and the last three numbers should be taken as a second entity. This way, referring to course HIST 20345, would be spoken, “History Twenty, Three Forty Five.” A Senior HIST seminar, 43219, for example, would be Forty Three, Two Nineteen.


What is the “CRN?”

The CRN stands for “Course Reference Number”. It is not the same as the Course Number. CRN’s are 4 digits long for Summer Session. CRN’s are 5 digits long for Fall and Spring semesters.

The CRN is used when you are adding classes to your schedule. This is the number you will put into the “Add Classes Worksheet” when registering for classes.


If a class is restricted to “Departmental Approval Required” you must go to the department offering the course for approval to register. If the department will be allowing you into the class they will enter a code onto your registration permissions. You will then be able to register for the class, if it is still open, during your registration time ticket.

Helpful Hint: Go to “Registration Status and Holds” to see any approvals for which you have been given for your registration. Then register for the class.


There are deadlines for dropping classes each semester. Please refer to the University of Notre Dame Academic Calendar for those deadlines.

How do I drop a class when my Registration time is still active?

  1. Log into insideND
  2. Select the NOVO “Registration NOVO - Add/Drop” task icon
  3. Select “Add/ Drop Classes” from the “Registration” page
  4. Select appropriate term from the “Select a Term” field
  5. If prompted, enter your Registration PIN (obtained from the department of your first major)
  6. Locate the class from which you wish to drop in your “Summary” view panel
  7. In the “Action” column, next to the class, select “Web Dropped”
  8. Then select “Submit”. The class is now dropped and no longer appears on your schedule

Helpful Hint: To “swap” classes, use the “Conditional Add and Drop” feature. It is located next to the “Submit” button. This feature will drop a selected class only if the selected add is available.

Helpful Hint: you will not be allowed to drop your last class on insideND. This is considered a Withdrawal and follows a separate process.

How do I drop a class after my Registration Time expires but before the last day to drop?

Dropping a class after your Registration Time expires and prior to the last day for course discontinuance requires a separate process from NOVO Registration (web registration add/drop).
  1. Log into insideND
  2. Select the “eForms” task icon
  3. Students fill in the appropriate information about the class to be dropped
  4. Submit the eForm
  5. Once the eForm is submitted, it will be routed to the department offering the class, and then onto the student’s academic dean for approvals. If the drop is approved by all the reviewing offices, it is then routed to the Office of the Registrar to be processed.


Within the “Class Search” class search there is a feature called “Enhanced Class Search”. This search enables the user to view the student evaluation information about the class and instructor. The user must log into the “Enhanced Class Search” feature before the extended evaluation information is displayed. After logging, in the student must select an individual class from the “Course – Sec” column. The course information will display. At the top of the page are two tabs. The “Basic Information” tab and the “Enhanced Information” tab. Select the “Enhanced Information” tab. This will display the available “Enhanced Class Search” information.


What should I do if I get an error when I try to register for a class?

That depends on the error message. The key below can help explain what each error message means. The most common messages will be that a class is closed or that a student doesn’t meet the prerequisites for the class.



Classification Restriction Not Met
Student does not meet the classification restriction
Closed Section
All seats in this section are taken
College Restriction Not Met
Student does not meet the college restriction
Corequisite (+course and CRN required)
Student does not have appropriate co-requisite(s). All co-requisites must be entered
Degree Restriction Not Met
Student does not meet the degree restriction
Department Restriction Not Met
Student does not meet the department restriction
Department Approval Required
Departmental Approval Required
Duplicate Course with Section (+course # of duplicated course)
Student is trying to register for the same course (either a different section or a cross listed class)
Level Restriction Not Met
Student does not meet the level restriction
Major, Minor, Concentration Restriction Not Met
Student does not meet the major, minor, or concentration restriction
Missing Prerequisite(s) or Pre/Corequisite(s)
Student does not have appropriate pre-requisite(s) or placement test score.
Over the Semester Credit Hour Limit
Student has reached maximum number of credit hours allowed for the semester. Contact your assistant or associate dean to request an overload
Program Restriction Not Met
Student does not meet the program restriction
(+ the number of credit hours allowed) Credit(s) Already Received
Student has taken the course in past semesters, and would be repeating the course
Seat Allocation Filled
All seat allocations in the class are taken that match the student's qualifications (classifications, majors, etc.) are taken
Student and Campus Location Must Match
Student and course are at different campus locations
Time Conflict with (+ CRN of conflict)
Student has attempted to register for a class with the same time or overlapping times


An undergraduate degree-seeking student must be in full-time status each semester. Any undergraduate student who is enrolled in at least 12 credit hours is considered full-time. A student who believes that special circumstances may require him/her to carry fewer than 12 semester hours in any semester (including a senior in his or her last semester), must seek approval from their respective college to be part-time. This request and conversion, if approved, must be made before the sixth class day of Fall or Spring semester. If permission is granted, the assistant or associate dean will make the modification in the student’s record. The Office of Student Accounts will be notified of the change of status and, if necessary, an adjustment to tuition will be made. There will be no adjustment of tuition unless permission is given by the assistant or associate dean and the class schedule is changed before the sixth class day of the Fall or Spring semester. Graduate level, Law, and Graduate Business students should see their advisor or department for more information.


  1. Log into insideND
  2. Search “ Student Academic Services” on search bar
  3. Select the “Student Academic Services” Task Center icon
  4. Make the “Student Academic Services” Task Center a favorite (by clicking on the heart)
  5. Select the NOVO “Registration NOVO - Add/Drop” task icon
  6. The “Registration” page will be displayed
  7. Select the appropriate action


Where should I go if I need help registering for classes?

There are a number of resources available to students who have questions about registering for classes for the first time. Campus computer cluster consultants will have received training, the FAQ's on the Office of the Registrar's homepage are available, and the OIT Helpdesk and the RCA's are available to answer questions. Additionally, academic departments may be of some help. Students are always welcome to contact the Office of the Registrar with questions by emailing


How are graduation honors calculated?

Graduation honors will be computed based on GPA, and the threshold GPA required for honors will vary from year to year. For additional information regarding Graduation honors, please click here: Latin Honors.

How are semester honors (Dean's List) calculated?

For additional information on semester honors, please click here: Dean's List


Will the Hours of Instruction book still be printed?

No. It was a static document, with hundreds of changes made after the printing. However, it will be posted as a pdf document on the Registrar's web site. Class searches will be available via insideND.


What is insideND?

insideND ( ) is the online Notre Dame community. Students will be able to access personal information, register for classes, complete the ND Roll Call process, and check final grades. But they will also be able to contact their professors, check their e-mail, and make connections with other individuals and groups across campus. insideND is a secure site that allows for a single sign-on for multiple services. Students use their NetID and password to log in. Students are required to use insideND to register for classes.


Students will not be allowed to register for an “overload” class schedule without permission of the student’s assistant or associate dean. The number of credits constituting an “overload” varies by college or school. If permission for an “overload” is granted, the assistant or associate dean will enter the new maximum directly into the student’s record. The student can then use “Add or Drop Classes” to obtain the additional class.

Helpful Hint:
All classes, including ROTC, Music, and audited classes (Graduate students only), count toward the maximum credits allowed by a department.

The maximum number of credits allowed without overload permission is:
Maximum Credits
Arts and Letters
Business (sophomores)
Business (juniors, seniors)
First Year of Studies
Graduate Business (Degree seeking)
Graduate School

ndID vs. NetID

What is my ndID? Is it different than my NetID?

The ndID is the student’s permanent ID at the University. The ndID is a 9-digit number, beginning with “9.”

The NetID is an alpha/numeric identifier that will expire after a student leaves the University. In most cases, the NetID is used to log into University services and email.  


For information regarding the Notre Dame/Saint Mary’s Co-Exchange please go to ND/SMC Co-Exchange.  


What is “ND ROLL CALL?”

ND Roll Call is a required process to let the University know that a student is attending a particular semester. This is different from registration. Registration is adding courses to your schedule. In addition, the ND Roll Call process allows verification of attendance for loan deferment, insurance purposes, scholarships, and allows financial aid awards to be disbursed. If you do not complete this process, we will assume you have not returned and will therefore drop you from your courses.

A student will have roughly two weeks to complete the ND Roll Call process through insideND each semester. It will begin a few days before each semester, and end at midnight on the last day for all class changes - 6th class day (excluding summer session).

Do I have to I have to complete the ND Roll Call process if I am in a Notre Dame Study Abroad program? Yes, everyone that has a class on their schedule must complete the process. If you receive e-mails asking you to complete the process then you must do this by the 6th class day.

Will I be notified if I have forgotten to complete ND Roll Call? Yes, you will be notified by e-mail when the process is available. If you do not complete this process you will continually receive e-mails. If you feel you have completed the ND Roll Call process, or do not remember, please try again, it will tell you if the process has already been completed.

Questions regarding ND Roll Call can be directed to or 574-631-7043.


Undergraduates: According to the Academic Code, (19.1): “Each junior or senior undergraduate may file with their assistant or associate dean during the first six class days of the semester the decision to take one elective course, outside the student’s major department and not required by the student’s program, per semester on a pass/fail basis. Such a filing is irrevocable and will result in conversion by the registrar of the instructor’s final grade report into an entry of P (‘pass’) or F (‘fail’) on the student’s record. The instructor will not be informed that the student has elected the pass/fail grading option. The registrar will interpret the final grades of ‘A’  through ‘D’ as ‘pass’. If a final grade of ‘F’ is issued, it will be computed into the student’s
grade point average.”

Students must first register for a class before the Pass/Fail Option can be applied. All Pass/Fail Option changes are processed in the dean's office. If the assistant or associate dean approves the Pass/Fail Option (or change), he or she will enter the information directly on to the student’s record.

Law Students : The Pass/Fail Option is also available to students in the Law School, but is limited to a total of two non-required courses, and only with the permission of the course instructor. These courses cannot be taken in the same semester.


Electronic permissions and overrides are entered directly into the system, onto a student's record, allowing them to register for a particular class. Permission for classes that are "Department Approval Required" will also be entered electronically. The permissions and overrides can be entered by departmental staff prior to or during registration. Receiving permission or an override does not register the student into the class. Students must still register for any courses for which they receive permissions and overrides. Receiving permission or an override does not guarantee the student a seat in the class; it simply enables the student to attempt to register for the class.




Where is my Rank in Class?

The University no longer provides Rank in Class information, effective Summer 2005.


Where do I log in to register for classes?

To register for classes, log in to insideND using your NetID and password.

Can I have a quick rundown of the Registration process?


How do I search for courses to add?


How do I drop a class I’ve already added?



It is recommended that students check their registration status before attempting to register for classes.

  1. Log into insideND Select the NOVO "Registration NOVO - Add/Drop" task icon
  2. Select "Registration Status and Holds" from the "Registration" page menu
  3. Select appropriate term in the "Select a Term" drop down menu
    • Registration Time Ticket will display
    • Registration Status items will display. All must be checked before registration
    • If you have any registration “Holds” you must clear them with the office listed
    • Any Department “Approval Granted” or registration class restriction overrides, given by an academic department, will display. (See Permit-Override)
    • Degree information, including majors, will display


While registering for classes, students may view their class schedule using the “Class Schedule for …” panel within Registration. Also, students may select “Schedules” within the “Registration” page.

Helpful Hint: The "Week at a Glance" view defaults to "today." If a student wants to view how their summer (or fall) classes line up, they will need to go to those specific weeks.


What is a "Seat Allocation?"

"Seat Allocation" is a feature of the registration system. The maximum number of seats that are available in a particular class can be allocated based on the Level, Major, or Classification of the students who are attempting to register for it.

When departments assign the seat allocations for their classes, they may do so using Level (undergraduate, graduate, law, etc.), Major (HIST, THEO, EE, etc.), or Classification (Freshmen, Seniors, 1st year MBA's, etc). For example, a class can have seats allocated as follows:

10 Unallocated seats
15 ANTH Majors

If a course has seat allocations, what happens with the other restrictions?

These seat allocations are still subject to whatever other registration restrictions are in place. In other words, if the class in the example above had also been "Seniors only", then only Seniors would be able to fill the unallocated seats and only Senior majors would be able to take the seats allocated to majors.

I fit the description of one of the allocations, but there are no available seats in my allocation category. There are seats available in a different category, but I'm still getting the "SECTION CLOSED" error. Why?

It is important to note that the only "overflow" is from the Unallocated seats allotment. In the example above, if all 15 seats were filled by students who were majors, the sixteenth Anthropology major would be able to register for the class only if there were seats still available in the "Unallocated Seats" portion of the class.

Where can I view the seat allocations of a class?

Use the "Class Search" task icon in insideND. Perform the class search, and select a specific course by clicking on the course number (the furthest left-hand column). In the "Registration Availability" section of the class information, seat allocations will be displayed, where applicable.


Do I need to do anything to my computer in order to use the system?

The Office of Information Technology (OIT) recommends that you install and run the most recent versions of available anti-virus and anti-spyware applications.


Where can I find information for technical questions?

For technical information, please visit the The Office of Information Technology (OIT) .


What do you mean by “Registration Time Ticketing?”

“Registration time ticketing” is the phrase that indicates when a student may begin registration and when that registration ends. The student's registration “window” does not close for the Fall or Spring semesters until the 6th class day of the semester for which they are registering. Law and Graduate Business students follow the registration time ticket guidelines set by their schools. Freshmen follow the guidelines set by the First Year of Studies.

Time Tickets for students taking classes during the summer are much longer due to the many different variables within Summer Session.

When will I find out my registration Time Ticketing information?

Each continuing student will receive an e-mail from the Office of the Registrar informing them of when the Time Ticket information will be available.

How does my Time Ticket fit into the overall registration schedule?

Registration Time Tickets for students are scheduled by the student’s classification.


Can I request a transcript online?

Yes, please login to insideND and go to "Transcript Request-Order" task icon. You can also check on the status of your transcript request by going to "Transcript Request - View Status". Further information is available at: Transcripts.

Can I use View Grade History in the place of a transcript?

The information found when selecting the View Grade History task icon is not an official University document, but it does provide information regarding courses taken, GPA by term, and GPA overall. However, most applications for scholarships, graduate schools, or jobs require an official University transcript.


How do I change the credits on my variable credit class?

  1. Add the class using the “Add Classes” instructions.  Note: Variable credit classes appear on the “Current Schedule” list with the minimum credit hour value
  2. Select “Schedule and Options” tab from the "Register for Classes" page
  3. Find the variable credit hour class that you wish to change
  4. Enter the number of credit hours for which you wish to register
  5. Click “Submit” 

Helpful Hint: Click “Submit” only once - any more than one time may cause an error to occur .


Why does a category for "Waitlist" display in one of the class searches? If the class is closed when I try to register, will I be added to the waitlist automatically?

On the "Detailed Class Information" page of the "Browse Classes" search, there is a category that reads, "Waitlist Seats." This category will always have zeros in each column. The University is not using this feature, but we are unable to remove it from this page. Because there are no waitlists for closed courses, students should look for a different class to register for if they receive the "CLOSED SECTION" registration error.


For more information about withdrawing from the University go to