The Office of the Registrar is able to assist current and former students with the entire Apostille process for both diplomas and transcripts. This includes notarization and sending to the Indiana Secretary of State for processing.
An apostille is a form of authentication established at the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. An apostille is used to authenticate public documents, certifying the authenticity of the issuing official’s or notary public’s signature on the document, the capacity in which the person has acted, and identifies the seal/stamp which the document bears. Apostilles are used as transmittal on documents executed in one subscribing country that are being sent to another subscribing country.
More information about Indiana’s Apostile process can be found at https://www.in.gov/sos/business/apostilleauthentication/
- Write a letter addressed to the Indiana Secretary of State. Sign your letter and send a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org (letter must be sent prior to ordering your transcripts and/or diploma). Your signed letter must contain:
- The type of document that needs the Apostille (Ex: transcript or degree)
- For what purpose the Apostille is needed (Ex: Visa, employment, academic program)
- The country that the documents will be utilized in
- The address to which the documents should be mailed after having the Apostille attached
- Your contact information in case the Indiana Secretary of State has any questions.
- Order or send document that needs apostilled
- Order transcript and/or diploma at https://my.nd.edu/page/benefits . You will need to order a paper copy of the transcript.
- Mail to: Office of the Registrar, 300 Grace Hall Notre Dame, IN 46556. Please note that if you send your original diploma, it is likely that it will not be returned to you.
- Pay for shipping below. The total cost for sending to a domestic destination is $50 and an international destination is $80.
- Once we have received your letter, documents, and payment, we will notarize the documents and send them via UPS Next Day to the Indiana Secretary of State for processing. We also include a UPS Next Day postage paid envelope for the Secretary of State to send your document to the address in your letter. We provide you with tracking numbers for each of these shipments.
The total cost for sending to a domestic destination is $50 and an international destination is $80.