Student names listed on a diploma must match the official name on file at the University (first name, middle name, last name), with the following exceptions:
- Option of first name or initial;
- Option of diminutive or alternative form for the first name (e.g. Elizabeth to Liz);
- Omission of the first name when the middle name is used as a salutary name;
- Option of middle name or initial;
- Omission of the middle name;
- Inclusion of former or maiden name(s);
- Inclusion of proper capitalization and accentuation of name; and,
- Inclusion of Hispanic maternal surnames
To officially request a name change for your diploma and other university documents, the Office of the Registrar requests your Notre Dame Student ID card (current students), along with one or more of the following:
- Marriage License
- Divorce Document
- Other official Government document
Our office will make a copy of the legal document, and return the original to you.
If you have any questions regarding the Diploma Name Protocol, please email Commencement.