Employee Educational Benefits
GENERAL INFORMATION REGARDING USING YOUR EMPLOYEE/SPOUSE TUITION BENEFIT
Many courses have restrictions placed on them which may require you to contact the department in advance for approval to enroll in the course. You can review course information, meeting times, and restriction information online at Browse Classes or Class Search.
Course Attendance, Participation, and Auditing
By enrolling in a course, the expectation will be that you participate in all aspects of the class. Course attendance, coursework, and finals will likely be a part of your work. While you may elect to audit the course, the same level of participation will be expected.
Auditing a Class
Auditing a class simply means that you will not receive a grade for the class at the end of the semester. After you web register for the class through insideND, you will need to request that your class instructor email our office to authorize your auditing of the class. You will be charged the same tuition rate regardless if you audit or receive credit for the coursework. Our office would then change the grade mode to an “audit” status.
Tuition remission may be considered a taxable benefit. This is determined by the Payment Services Office based on the information submitted to Human Resources. If it is determined that the course is a taxable benefit, the appropriate taxes will be withheld on your paycheck.
Once you have registered for the course and completed ND roll call, you will receive a billing statement from Student Accounts for all charges which may include any fees associated with this class. You will be billed for all academic-year courses regardless of your intent to either audit or if you will receive a grade in the class. For more information regarding charges, call Student Accounts at 1-7113. Identify yourself as a Notre Dame employee in a non-degree seeking class.
Step 1 – Obtaining Approval of Human Resources to Receive the Employee Tuition Benefit
Visit the Human Resources website to complete the Non-Degree or Degree seeking tuition benefit form.
Step 2 – Registering for your Course
- You will need the CRN (course reference number) for registration and department approvals. You can find your CRN on Browse Classes or Class Search.
- Obtain departmental approval or overrides if required for your selected course by contacting the department offering the course. You can view requirements in Browse Classes by clicking on the course title and then clicking on Restrictions, Corequisites and Prerequisites. You can view requirements Class Search by clicking on the Course-Sec of the class.
- You will receive an email from the Office of the Registrar letting you know your registration time ticket
- When you are ready to register, log on to insideND using your Notre Dame NetID and password. (If you do not have your NetID please use the same link https://inside.nd.edu/ and then click in the search box next to the InsideND logo and type "Get your NetID”. Then, click on the Activate your NetID & Password icon. Follow the instructions provided on the page and you will need your ndID number to get your NetID. For forgotten or lost passwords, you must visit the OIT Help Desk at 128 DeBartolo Hall and present a photo id card.) For other access or technical issues the OIT Help Desk can be reached via email at email@example.com or 574-631-8111.
- Click in the search box (what would you like to find?) next to the Inside ND logo and type in “NOVO”. Then click on the green NOVO icon titled: “NOVO Registration – Add/Drop Student Use Only”. Alternatively, you type in “Registration”. Then click on the yellow Registration-OLD icon titled: “Registration-OLD Adding/Dropping a Class”. This will enable you to utilize the prior registration system.
- For NOVO Registration select Add/Drop Classes (Student Use Only). CAS Authenticate (Sign in) using you NetID and password. Then select from the Terms Open for Registration the appropriate term (i.e. Fall 2016) in the drop-down menu and click gray Continue button. For Registration –OLD (Adding/Dropping a Class) select the appropriate term from the drop-down menu and click the gray Submit button.
STEP 3 – Completing ND Roll Call
- In your email from the Office of the Registrar, you will be informed of the time period in which you must complete ND Roll Call. During this time window, you will log on to insideND to complete ND Roll Call.
- Click in the search box and type “ND Roll Call”.
- Click on the icon titled: “ND Roll Call Student Use Only” and the “I am verifying my attendance…”option.
- Follow the screens through to the end and click the Submit button.
- You will receive a confirmation page that acknowledges you are enrolled for the semester.
If you have questions applying for the employee/spouse tuition benefits, please visit the Human Resources website.
If you have questions regarding registration for classes as a non-degree employee, retiree, or spouse, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 574-631-1479.
Class Drop or Withdrawal
Once an employee has registered for a course and has completed ND Roll Call, they must complete a Separation from University or Summer Session Discontinuance eForm. This will allow the employee to drop or withdraw from a course if it is their only course during the current semester. The eForms are located at: https://academic-eforms.nd.edu/.
For undergraduate classes where the benefit pays 90% and the employee pays 10%, as long as the employee drops or withdraws by the last day for course discontinuance per the Academic Calendar, the benefit and the 10% tuition will be removed from their student account bill.